Friday, January 27, 2012

Winter Jam 2012!!!

WHOO!!! I WENT TO WINTER JAM LAST NIGHT!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!!!
Okay, random yelling is over. As I said, I went to Winter Jam last night! $10 for 10 bands. AND ONE OF THEM WAS SKILLET!!! I went with my mom, my dad, my brother Paul, my BFF Libby, and her brother (who is also my friend) Zach. It was TOTALLY worth standing in the rain for an hour. They bands there were: Group 1 Crew, Building 429, Newsong, Kari Jobe, Peter Furler, Sanctus Real, and Skillet. And, to be completely honest, I hardly knew any of those songs they played. There were a few Newsboys songs that Peter Furler played, one or two Sanctus Real songs I knew, but nothing I was completely familiar with. And then the last, but DEFINITELY not least, Skillet!
Click the jump to read about it!

(Please forgive me if I'm out of order, it's been a long night)
The first song they played was actually a surprise to me. Skillet opened with "Whispers in the Dark". I kinda thought that they would open with something like "Hero" or "Rebirthing" or something like that. But it was epic. They had the violinist and cellist do a longer intro to the song in front of a curtain (while they set up the pyro!) and it AWESOME when they started playing.
The next song Skillet performed was "Comatose". It was interesting, because Korey Cooper (keyboard/rhythm guitar/backing vocals) sang background vocals for this song, which she doesn't do on Skillet's album, Comatose.
And the third song is my favorite: "Those Nights". For the longest time, that has been my favorite Skillet song out of them all. Paul said I should've seen my face when they started playing it. I wish I could've. The best part of the song was when John Cooper (lead vocals/bass) changed the lyrics "I remember when we used to drive anywhere but here" to "I remember when we used to drive to Reading for Winter Jam!" It was absolutely priceless.
After "Those Nights", Skillet played the song Libby said she was hoping they would play, "Awake and Alive".  It was amazing, although Jen Ledger's (drums/backing vocals) voice sounded a bit different than it does on the album version. Zach said it was probably because she was drumming and singing at the same time.
Right after that, John Cooper talked for a minute about a girl he had met at a concert once. She said something like "Hey, I just wanted to say goodbye because I don't feel like there's anything for me to live for anymore." And he said that this song was to tell her (or anyone who felt like that) that she did matter, she wasn't alone. And that's what "The Last Night" is all about.
Once all of the awesomeness of that song was over,they took a minute to change the stage a little bit. And Skillet's performance of "Hero" was just epic. Completely epic. As you can see in the video, two platforms rose next to the main stage. Korey stood on the left, and Seth Morrison (new lead guitarist) stood on the right platform. And there was pyro. Oh boy!
After "Hero", they changed the pace to bit more of a slower song, "Lucy". Honestly, it's a really great song, but a little sad. The end of the song was the best because Korey did some vocals for it, and, like "Comatose", she normally doesn't for this song.
Once "Lucy" was over, Skillet took another minute to reset the stage, this time with a slightly creepy monster head. And of course, we all knew that "Monster" was the next song. And that was so awesome I'm not sure I can describe it. It's one of those things you just had to be there to see.
The final song Skillet performed was "Rebirthing". And that was an amazing way to finish the concert. Some fireworks at the beginning, and just an completely epic last song.
All in all, I had a great time at Winter Jam with my family and friends! Thanks for reading this super-long post!

No comments:

Post a Comment